in 1994 for the WORLD SUMMIT FOR SOCIAL DEVELOMMENT in 1995
I. early childhood
To government- and UN-officials, NGOs and individuals - worldwide - who were engaged in ONE world development at - or around - the WORLD SUMMIT FOR SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT in March 1995 in Copenhagen.
No one can BE developed
"Facilitators in Partnership": A vision which worked.
From my book "VISION WORKS. From vision to action. From Haiti to ONE world in diversity", 2008 – pages 164 to 176.
6 pages PDF
To the subject "Reaching for global change..." from VISION WORKS, page 96:
"To attack global problems may mostly be out of the direct reach of individuals and of civil society institutions like us. But such problems become visible for an open mind. And: Civil society as a whole is not at all powerless in global questions – at least not in the long run. It "only" needs some better cooperation and more working together amongst each other, with the media – and with constructive engagement in politics.
Unfortunately, those, who are officially involved in setting the structure of our one world, are very often far away from the reality "down at the bottom". To be a representative of a given political structure like a state, means mostly a comfortable life. This is particularly visible in our international institutions, especially the United Nations. Such country representatives almost exclusively come from their countries' powerful "elite" circles. Their international lifestyle is far above that of their own countries' population. Why should they desire a change? It does need a higher (and deeper) motivation to want a change, when it does not directly concern their own life. It may even be more comfortable to be surrounded by less well-off people. They provide you with more and cheaper services."
The concluding thought in VISION WORKS concerning the reach for global change:
"For humanity to survive in peace we must first develop a global (or even cosmic) consciousness towards oneness of all in diversity and then promote the political creation of a legally binding, fair and sustainable global order for a world in balance in the spirit of compassion and solidarity."
VISION and hope:
We need a humane and efficient economic world-order-system and a strong, renewed United Nations !
This is a VISION which could and should be transformed into realistic political goals and objectives.
To all members of the civil society, who are somehow engaged for ONE world in diversity.
Our ONE world in diversity is being socially and ecologically misguided by unlimited global economic and military powers. We, therefore, need a globally secured frame-structure for peaceful, dignified and just development in solidarity and for protecting nature, the base of all existence. Such a structure, the Œco-social market-system, is an alternative to neo-liberal market-fundamentalism as well as to socialist planned markets. It is a humane, socially just – yet efficient – system which protects nature and functions through fair competition in free markets – but under globally agreed values (like the "Golden Rule") and internationally accepted and enforced environmental rules and basic ILO-Standards.
Monopolistic and other exploiting power-structures must be avoided through a powerful global cartel-court to be installed in a strong reformed United Nations.
We need a UN which practices "good global governance" in participation with civil society.
The UN could and should be a main actor in healing our world's chronic illnesses like poverty, the majority of the people's missing chances to satisfy their basic needs like the lack of good early learning possibilities. But the UN suffers from its own bureaucratic and power structures.
Overlapping UN sub-organizations and territorial egocentrism are consuming too much energy. A lack of transparency adds to the dilemma. We do not need a top-down central world government, but a truly democratic, transparent and unbureaucratic strong, firm, but gentle coordinating agency, facilitating dialogue, based on all human rights and on shared values.
We need a UN capable of helping to solve global problems - but also respecting regional and local structures - down to communities, families and individuals - for ONE world in diversity.
Such a reformed/renewed United Nations must be based on values and principles:
A renewed United Nations respects, follows and protects global values:
- The golden rule: Do not do to others, what you do not want them to do to you.
- Growth in holistic quality - instead of mere quantitative material growth.
- Favoring what furthers community - but respecting individuality in its diversity.
- As a central value: undogmatic true spirituality, enabling Love and compassion.
A renewed United Nations must also follow/include such principles:
- Subsidiarity: Regulating and doing only what cannot be better regulated and done in smaller structures: regional – like European Union – national, local or individual.
- Democracy through direct election of global delegates (min. one per country; in larger countries one per ten Mio inhabitants) – a second "chamber" next to the existing structure.
- Active participation of all sectors of civil society – respecting the elected structures.
- Enforceable global law - including international court of justice -protecting all human rights and nature and securing fair starting chances for the weak and avoiding cartels.
- Transparency in all UN-procedures, -goals, -objectives, -plans and -structures.
- Peacekeeping and (if needed) Peacemaking through a strong global police-force.
- Reformed Security-Council and strengthened ECOSOC, truly capable to decide.
- Own financial sources (like e. g. a tax on speculative global money transfers).
- Fair democratic global finance- and trade-institutions (IMF, World Bank, WTO).
- Separate policy advisory and operational functions in efficient UN sub-structures.
The guiding principle for all of us should be: MITEINANDER / TOGETHER / ENSEMBLE.